Saturday, January 14, 2017

In the Small Moments

I sat him down with me today just to tie his little black chucks back on his feet.  His nose, crusty from the cold he seems to keep year round, mouth covered in chocolate milk and crumbs from his kids meal.  As I struggled to get his shoes on, I felt myself pull him close to me as if it had been years since I had seen him, knowing I had just seen him a few hours before I left for work.  I pulled him close to me, his fuzzy hair pressed against my face and as I often do I asked him "Sam, do you love me?"  Most of the time, as with the majority of two year olds, he would get distracted by something and not pay attention to dear old dad.  This day was different.  In this small moment, with such innocent purity and amazing clarity, he leaned into me and gently said "I love you daddy".

In that small, tiny moment...everything that was wrong with life ceased to exist for a few precious moments.  It took everything in me to fight back the tears of joy I felt welling up in my eyes.  I pulled him even closer, composed myself enough to squeak out "I love you too Sam".  He hopped down from my knee and bounced on about his day, never knowing how much those few, small words effected me...touched me...crushed me.

Life isn't lived in the huge expanse that we get lost in from day to day, life is truly lived in the small moments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment