Friday, January 13, 2017

Sometimes It's Just Going to Rain

I always thought I liked those rides at the fair that flung you around in a circle and then the bottom mysteriously dropped out.  Now...not so much.  I'm pretty well convinced that the person that invented that ride, did so the week after they got laid off from their job.

A few years ago life decided that I needed a big change.  Looking back now I think that life got it right.  I was in a dark place, making less than stellar personal choices and the walls were caving in on this slightly balding bass player.  That's when life decided that I didn't need a distraction like a stable job and I got caught in the second round of layoffs at the company I was working for at the time.

As it does to a lot of people that have the real pleasure to experience this, it wreaked havoc on our finances and put our little family unit in a serious tail spin.  We lost our house, we lost our credit and the worst...we just about lost our marriage.  A strange thing happened though, with all of this going on we actually had a rebirth of sorts with our marriage and fell in love with each other again and in a much deeper, unexplainable way.  Since that happened, our family unit was restored, our (especially my) faith had been renewed and we had some huge breakthroughs as a couple and as individuals.  So yeah...life jerking the rug out from under me then totally made sense.

Now enter The Lay Off part 2: Revenge.  We were going the right direction as a family and finally recovering from the financial tornado that had run through our tiny little credit trailer park.  Planning to buy a house was becoming something that might actually happen and we felt like maybe, just maybe we had found a place to set some roots.  Life has again though decided that a stable job is something that we, as a family, don't need at the moment.

This time around I don't get it.  Before, I was making all the wrong calls and life decided to make a serious market correction on my Wall Street.  Now I am making much better, faith based and influenced calls (or at least I think they are) and life decides to make another major adjustment.

Maybe this is just serving as a friendly reminder to not get my identity wrapped up in what I expect out of life and focus more on the inner identity of who I am, regardless of the surroundings or circumstances.

All that sounds great but some days it's a little hard to convince yourself of these truths even though you know how real and true they are.  I see now when the scripture said that it rains on the just and unjust, it's serving as a little bit of comfort and a little bit of a warning.


Whether we think we're just or unjust in the choices we make personally, sometimes it's just going to rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment