Friday, January 13, 2017

A Life Status Update and Such

So it's been forever and a day since I got to sit down and write something more than artistic babble to get a grade in some class so here we go.

Life has been rather complex as of late. School was going excellent until I found out that the government decided that continuing my unemployment benefits wasn't in my best interest. With that, my current academic career has been seriously downgraded to possibly part-time in the future. Fortunately I was able to land a pretty awesome job at a local company as a draftsman and graphic designer so all in all I'm not disappointed with my career direction. I'm actually really eager to get back into the workforce and especially with the company that hired me. Check them out at
www.ferreetrailers.com

With this though, I'm sure a move will be in our future and with that we're trying to figure out how to keep Cindy in school full-time. Moving would mean that we would lose our childcare scholarship which definitely complicates things. In all honesty...I would love to see Cindy finish school if at all possible. I've seen the work she's done in the past and she done nothing but gotten better. At her semester critique she unveiled her portfolio and to say it was moving would be a gross understatement. Whether she can finish school or not though, it doesn't take away the fact that she's an incredible photographer on top of being a great mother, a loving wife and my closest friend.

As Christmas approaches, I've been faced with both of my parents being in the hospital. My mother was diagnosed with colon cancer and is scheduled to be operated on this Wednesday (which ironically is my first day of employment). On top of her operation and recovery, my step-father is also not doing the greatest so I'll be traveling as much as I can to help my mom recover. I found out today that my father was in the hospital. After seeing him this evening, it looks like gall bladder surgery is in his future. At least I hope it's that simple. Cindy's parents have also been faced with some tough health issues as well. Cindy's mom has been battling with diabetes for some years and it's seriously starting to affect her vision and her overall health. Cindy's dad has a pretty serious blockage in one of his arteries and we're waiting to hear back as to the treatment.

We're still down a vehicle since playing deer hockey this year but hopefully the good ole tax return will remedy that in a month or so. Honestly, we've figured out ways to live on a very modest budget and at the end of the day it hasn't been that bad. Sure, we've given up some things but we've survived so rather than complain about what we haven't had, I'm thankful for what we have had.

Today, as I was driving down interstate 40 to go see my dad in the hospital, I contemplated all of these things and a lot more. I thought about what if any of it had any real meaning or significance. I wondered if what we were facing was some cosmically ordered chain of events put in my way to prove some point or if all of it was just random points that happen to just coincidentally intersect. In the midst of all of this static and chaos running rampant in my head, I looked up and witnessed what was to be an incredible sunset on such a cold, winter day. Just then, a song came on the radio that was entitled "The World is Our ______" and for a split second things just made sense.

With a hopeful but uncertain and challenging future ahead for me and my family...all I can say is yes, the world is simply our _______ and it's our responsibility, no matter what the circumstance, to fill in the blank.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment