Friday, January 13, 2017

4.0 for the Unknown and the Bully Beatdown

So my first semester of college is over and amazingly this less than stellar student from the class of '94 actually pulled off a 4.0 average for the first time ever. I never was the model of student studies but I guess time tends to wear some of the rebellious edges off and gives us at least the ability to focus on the moment at hand. That being said though, I'm now facing a summer of real uncertainty. Even though currently, the government finances are there to further my studies, we've been forced as a family to cut back to the bare necessities in order to keep the lights on with what we've got coming in monthly.

Of course with most of the adventures in my life, there's always an ironic twist. I had an interview with a company this past week. The first interview...for that matter...the first call back I've gotten since the pink slip got dropped on me back in December. What's crazy is it's not some two bit company looking for a minimum wage slave to do their bidding...no...it's a good company...a great company actually. One that is growing and expanding. One I sincerely want to be a part of. The interview went great. Probably one of the best I've ever had and I left having some real confidence that I had a good shot at getting the job. So now I just sit here and wait. Wait for "the" call. It could be tomorrow...a few weeks from now...maybe never.

I know that if that company calls I'm taking the job...hands down...without hesitation. As much as I really enjoyed college and would miss not continuing going full time...watching my family continue to struggle is just not an option for me anymore. I felt like I was pretty successful in my post high school academic studies but now the prospects of landing a great job has put my educational future in limbo.

One weird but very cool side effect from my current and short lived collegiate success showed up a few days ago. A friend of mine recently graduated college and as usual we showed up to lend our support. Only this time, after years of arriving to these events and being filled with regret, bitterness and disappointment that I joined the workforce early in life instead of taking the higher learning path, those feelings didn't rear their ugly heads. Somehow, the little working guy in my head that always looked down on himself for not doing the college thing lifted his head up high for the first time in his life and cracked a defiant smile.

...Yeah...it was only one semester and yeah...I may never return to school full time or even part time but at least there's one thing I do know. That little working guy in my head that got picked on all his life by the bully that was college finally got his revenge and kicked college's ass...

...even if it was for just one semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment